Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 4

In which I find myself going mad.

Though I have yet to complete Assignment 2, I have a blog post due today, and working with Joomla has been a harrowing experience, so I thought I'd ramble about it today.

I don't even know where to begin. Whether it's my computer that's been acting odd ever since I updated the OS months ago, or just the Joomla site, or the combination of the two, I don't know. But all day as I've tried to build the site, it's been freezing and Chrome as been like, "Do you want to wait for this page or kill it?" And I've sighed and said, "Well, I'd like to wait, because I haven't saved yet. But this is the third time you've had to ask me so KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of this thing. Give me Text Edit and several hours of coding any day.

I thought, at first, that I could skim over the webinar/tutorial for the gist of it, and then figure it out on my own. I'm usually very good at figuring things out on my own. I was wrong. So wrong. I had to go back and watch the webinar. But I don't like that you almost have to do that; I don't see it as being very user friendly. I understand having the tutorials and webinars there for more advanced designing and what not, but I want to be able to understand the basics right away. I don't want to have to watch 40 minutes just to figure out how to add an article. Which reminds me: article? I thought they were called "pages." I don't like their jargon. Not one bit. I think that's another big issue I'm having trouble with. I don't know where to find things because I don't know what they're called. I know what they're logically called in the world of web design/the Internet, but Joomla, it seems, has decided to do whatever they want. No. Bad, Joomla.

This whole thing is turning out to be much more frustrating that I'd hoped. I have to stop working on this thing today. I'm going to go enjoy the rain and maybe get a bit of writing done.

3 comments:

  1. Ditto. I was able to start using my CMS at work with very little training. We joke about how horrible our CMS is all the time, but now I have a new appreciation for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that! I'm going crazy because of this thing. Meanwhile, Feechi's over there on her blog, being all awesome with it. I think she need to teach us all what to do, because her site looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the jargon bit! It's what makes the whole experience painful. I've used sites like this before and, like you, still had to go back and watch the webinar step by step because of the vocabulary they've chosen to use. Using it efficiently would take a lot of trial and error to learn.

    ReplyDelete