Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 3

So far things in class are going well enough. I'm still getting used to the new Blazeview layout, but since I figured out how to mess with the appearances, it's better. Not being able to mass select and mark as read is a pain; I hope they ask for some feedback about the new design.

It's really interesting, though, to find how little libraries seem to utilize social media. I have to wonder if it's merely a lack of time/budget? As someone who's on the computer ALL the time, and well connected with sites like Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook, I'm well aware of the amount of time that must be invested in maintaining those websites or just browsing for things to post. But I think social media can be helpful, even if it only manages to bring in a handful of people. Better than nothing, right?

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the librarians. I can say something like that because I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I am even older, I totally agree. It is such nature for younger people to use social media. I am not only talking about teenagers, almost anybody younger than me at least by 5 years seems to be totally plugged in. With libraries, it mostly depends on the staff: do they have people able and willing to take this on and maintain it well. I would venture that those libraries with younger staff will have easier time with that. Not good news for us. Shape up or ship out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling really old, too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete