Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 6

I keep getting Joomla ads on websites now. It's extremely irritating. I don't like being reminded of that thing.

But my dislike of Joomla is not saying that I'm put off the idea of using a CMS completely, just not that one. I confess that I wasn't even familiar with the term before this semester, and I think it's a really great way to help anyone build a website, but groups like libraries could especially benefit from such software. I'd definitely be interested in using another CMS provider if given the chance, or I'd be willing to use one at a job.

Somewhat unrelated, I was thinking yesterday of how I wished my local library had more events for writers. I know they do a Q&A type deal with local, published authors every now and then, but that's not really enough for me. I miss the workshop environment from my creative writing classes, where we'd all read copies of someone's story and then discuss what was good or bad about how it was crafted. I then wondered if my local library would be interested in starting some sort of creative writing workshop for aspiring writers. Nothing too fancy or official. I don't think you REALLY need to have a degree in order to tell someone how they can improve their writing, but getting together and getting fresh perspectives on things can be really beneficial. I have nooo idea how many people would be interested, but it's definitely something I'd like to see more of.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, you could always talk to one of the Librarians and see if there would be interest. It may ultimately mean that you have to find a facilitator for the group, but I imagine there are a number of people out there interested in that type of thing. You could get the group started, and the library could host it. You build a community of writers and the library gets bodies...excuse me, patrons.

    ReplyDelete